A Couple of Easy Ideas for Dinosaur-Themed Cupcakes
Having a dinosaur-themed party but need a simple dessert? Check out these dinosaur cupcake ideas! They are easy to make, colorful, and a fun addition to any dino party! Learn how to make creamy dinosaur chocolates or how to transform a plain cupcake into a dinosaur cupcake in minutes with cute cupcake wrappers!
Easy Options for Dinosaur Cupcakes
Dinosaurs are a popular theme for kids’ birthday parties. Here are a couple of ideas for dinosaur-themed cupcakes. Both options are easy and cute!
The first cupcake design features colorful dinosaur chocolates atop a buttercream swirl with dinosaur-themed sprinkles.
The buttercream swirl is made with a 1M tip, although any large tip would work. Check out our buttercream recipe that is perfect for decorating cupcakes like these.
Sprinkles may be the quickest and simplest way to dress up any cupcake. These sprinkles are a cute detail, containing dino-shaped sprinkles mixed with green and blue jimmies.
The dinosaurs are easy to make using a silicone candy mold. They aren’t actually made of chocolate, they are made of candy melts (or wafers), which have a white chocolate flavor.
Real chocolate requires a process called tempering, whereas candy melts can be melted in the microwave and reheated if need be. Wilton has a great post with more on the difference between candy melts and chocolate.
The second cupcake design is even simpler than the first. These festive dinosaur cupcake wrappers are a quick way to make dinosaur cupcakes in no time!
This design can be pulled together with 3 basic elements:
- Cupcake Wrappers
- Large Buttercream Swirls
Don’t have time to make cupcakes from scratch? These wrappers are a great way to dress up store-bought cupcakes to be party-ready FAST!
Other Supplies & Ingredients:
How to Make Dinosaur Chocolates
The dinosaur chocolates are actually candy melts with a white chocolate-like flavor. Here are a few helpful tips for working with candy melts:
- Fill in small details with a brush for more control.
- When layering colors, make sure you allow the first layer to harden before adding another on top of it, otherwise, the colors could mix.
- Speed up the solidifying process-put chocolates in the freezer.
The dinosaur mold we used came from JoAnn’s. The leaf is from a jungle-themed mold that we had. JoAnn’s now offers a new mold with a leaf and brontosaurus-wish we would’ve had it when we made our cupcakes!
Steps for making dinosaur chocolates:
- Pour candy melts into microwave-safe bowls and melt according to the instructions on the packaging.
- Pour melted mixture into piping bags or plastic bags. Cut off just the very tips of the bags. A small opening will give you better control while piping the melts into the molds.
Helpful Tip: If you prepare all of your colors at the same time, this is where a warming tray comes in handy. Lay down a towel and place the bags filled with melted candies on top. The low heat from the warming tray will keep the chocolate from hardening inside the bags, which means you won’t have to waste time remelting the chocolates. They will stay soft until you’re ready to use them.
- Fill in the eye with black. It may be easier to paint it in with a brush.
- Fill in the horns with white.
- Let that harden. Place in the freezer for a few minutes to speed up the process.
- Fill in the rest of the mold with orange. Let that harden in the freezer for a few minutes.
- Fill in the eye with black. Use a brush to paint it in.
- Fill in the yellow spikes.
- Let that harden. Place in the freezer for a few minutes.
- Fill in the rest of the mold with dark green. Harden in the freezer for a few minutes.
- Paint the belly area red with a brush.
- Paint in the eye with black.
- Let that harden in the freezer for a few minutes.
- Fill in the rest of the mold with royal blue. Harden in the freezer for a few minutes.
- Remove from mold and paint in the teeth with white.
Your cute colorful dinosaur candies are ready to be added to your cupcakes!
How to Make Dinosaur Cupcakes
Once the dinosaur candies are ready, assembling your dinosaur cupcakes is a quick and easy process.
We chose to use white buttercream for the swirls for a clean and cohesive look. We tried a few cupcakes with colored swirls but combined with the colorful chocolates, they seemed a bit busy.
- Use a 1M tip to create big swirls atop the cupcakes.
- Place the dinosaur candies and leaves on the top of the cupcakes.
- Finish off with sprinkles! We combined the dinosaur-shaped sprinkles with some blue and green jimmies, all from the Betty Crocker “Cool in Blue” sprinkle mix.
Dinosaur Cupcake Wrappers
Need a super quick way to make dinosaur-themed cupcakes? These dinosaur cupcake wrappers might be just what you’re looking for!
Simply secure the wrappers around the cupcakes and top them with buttercream swirls and some sprinkles.
We chose to brighten our cupcakes with colored buttercream using Wilton Buttercup Yellow and Americolor Orange #113. We used a 1M tip to create the swirls.
We topped the cupcakes with simple and bright white jimmies from the same Betty Crocker sprinkle mix.
Helpful Tip: Apply the wrapper BEFORE the swirl and sprinkles.
- It’s easier to wrap a plain cupcake.
- You don’t run the risk of messing up your decorated cupcake.
These cupcake wrappers are also a great way to dress up store-bought cupcakes to make them unique.
Such a simple way to make dinosaur cupcakes! A super quick and cute idea!